Saturday, March 16, 2013

Second Observation & End of Placement

Dr. Shannon came in for her second observation during my ninth period class! I had hoped [again] that she would be able to see my 8th period students, but alas [again] she did not :( It went well anyway though! My classes that day were beginning to type their final drafts in the computer lab. During 9th period, I began class with a do now that instructed the students to write down [in full sentences] their goal for the period. How much did they want to complete on their final drafts? Thinking back on this part of the lesson, I wish I would have called on a few students and had them share what they wrote so that there would be a higher level of accountability. Next time! After the do now, I demonstrated how the final paper should be formatted on the overhead. The students were quite attentive for this, but that was probably due to the fact there was a stranger sitting in the room [no offense]. After this, I allowed the students to begin typing their final drafts. During this time, I made my way around the room answering questions and individually helping students. Apparently the stranger factor didn't last the entire class. In her notes, Dr. Shannon reported that a student [I guesses who it was immediately] got up behind me and started dancing while I wasn't looking in his direction. /sigh. I suppose you can control it all :P I got a little nervous/anxious when I noticed Dr. Shannon talking with small groups of students. The first three girls she talked with are very good students, but the second three are challenging. I feel that, overall, my meeting with Shannon afterward went well too. I think that I'm doing pretty well, but I still have so much to improve on.

All in all, I have really enjoyed my placement here. I am definitely not ready to leave my students and my co-op. I am especially not looking forward to trying to learn all the names of five new classes of students! I am absolutely horrible at learning people's names, and I was just getting completely comfortable with the names and personalities and needs of all of my students at my first placement. Ahhh!


No comments:

Post a Comment